Find Out The Best Home Remedies For Cold Sore and Why it Works
A cold sore is a common viral skin infection that occurs in and around the lips. The most common cause is herpes simplex virus. This virus causes painful sores on the lips, gums, tongue, roof of your mouth, and inner cheeks. It can also rarely cause issues such as fever and muscle aches. Herpes simplex virus only affects humans. Oral wounds are most common in children aged 1-2 years, but can affect people of all ages. People catch the virus by touching infected saliva, mucous membranes or skin. It is highly contagious. For this reason, most people have been infected with the virus before adulthood.
Although cold sores usually infect the areas around the lips and mouth, symptoms are not always limited to this area. In some individuals, a cold sore may also occur in the triangular area between the upper lips and nose called the philtrum, inside or outside the nose, on the chin, neck or cheek. Eye herpes may also occur in individuals with a weak immune system, an organ transplant or cancer patients. This is a very dangerous condition and can lead to blindness.
Some individuals who encounter cold sore for the first time have oral sores. Others have no any symptoms. The time between contact with the virus and the appearance of symptoms is known as the incubation period and is 2 to 12 days. For most people, this period takes an average of 4 days. Complaints can last up to 3 weeks and in most cases heal completely without scarring within 2 to 3 weeks. Symptoms are often milder in recurrent cold sores after the initial infection.
Warning signs seen just before a cold sore include:
- Itching of the lips or skin around them
- Burning and pain
Cold sores can usually heal spontaneously. However, they can be uncomfortable and unsightly, so you may want to try home remedies instead of waiting for the cold sore to go away on its own.
So what are the best home remedies for cold sore?
Ice Compression Method
Applying an ice compress is a good technique for soothing cold sores. It helps to reduce the inflammation and itching of the skin due to the spread of the virus caused by cold sore.
- Put some ice cubes in a towel or cotton cloth
- Apply compresses over the affected area for quick results
- Do not keep the ice pack in the same place for more than 5 minutes
Garlic contains compounds with antiviral properties that helps reduce swelling in cold sores and also helps speed up the wound healing process.
- Crush a clove of garlic
- Apply the crushed garlic directly to the cold sore area
- Garlic reduces swelling in herpes and speeds up the healing process
- After waiting 5 or 10 minutes, you can wash it off
Lime is a natural food with anti-bacterial properties. You can apply lime to cold sore. In addition, lime will also prevent the formation of cold sore.
- Cut the lime in half
- Apply to cold sore 3-4 times a day
- You can also apply the lime when the cold sore is emerging
Honey is a food that positively affects human health. It is removes germs caused by cold sores and speeds up healing.
- You can apply honey to sores with cotton
- Apply this process 3 times a day
- You can mix honey with vinegar and you can quickly dry cold sores with this mixture
Vanilla helps eliminate viruses that cause cold sores from the body and prevents viruses from multiplying.
- Apply some vanilla on the tip of a cotton ball and rub to the sores
- Wait 1-2 minutes and rinse
- You can apply this process 3 times a day
- Milk Method
As it heals cold sores, you can also give a chance to the milk that allows the new cold sore to pass without growing.
- For this, it is enough to drop cold milk on cotton and hold it on the cold sore for 2-3 minutes
Aloe Vera Method
Aloe vera, which contains many ingredients that are beneficial for the skin, also helps to dry cold sore in a short time.
- To do this, all you need is massage with a teaspoon of aloe vera gel on the cold sore
Peppermint Oil Method
Peppermint oil is a very effective method, which helps prevent cold sore before they appear.
- When you realize that you will have cold sores, drip a drop or two of peppermint oil into the cotton swab and rub it on that area